|Canio Hoffarth: I have been studying civil engineering at ASU since 2007, completing my Bachelor’s degree in 2011, my Master’s degree (structures and materials) in 2012 and my PhD in 2016. I spent the summer of 2012 at Sandia National Labs working on the development of a new peridynamic computational mechanics program called Peridgm. I am currently a Post-Doctoral Fellow working on research projects sponsored by NASA and FAA on development of composite material models.|
|Bilal Khaled: I received my Bachelor of Science in engineering (civil engineering) in 2014 and my Master of Science in civil engineering (structures and materials) in 2015 both from ASU. I am currently pursuing a doctorate in the field of structural engineering. My focus is on finite element material modeling of composite materials as well as mechanical characterization of composite materials.|
|Nathan Schmidt: I received my Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree in civil engineering from ASU in 2015. I am currently a graduate student pursuing a Master of Science degree (structures and materials). My thesis involves enhancing the capabilities of an in-house experimental data processing program and performing a comparative study on the performance of several adhesives used in the characterization of unidirectional composites.|
|Yogesh Unde: I graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering degree in civil engineering from the University of Pune (IN) in 2011. Currently I am doing my master’s thesis work titled ‘Structural Design Optimization of Steel Buildings’ which deals with sizing, shape and topology optimization of tall buildings that are designed as per AISC 2010 specifications.|
|Jackson Mahrt: I received my Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from the University of Nebraska – Lincoln (Omaha campus) in May of 2016. I am pursuing a Master of Science degree in civil engineering with a structure engineering emphasis. I will be serving as a teaching assistant for CEE 321 – Structural Analysis and Design.|
|Loukham Shyamsunder: I am pursuing a doctoral degree in civil engineering with structural engineering as my specialization. I received the Bachelor of Technology degree in civil engineering from the National Institute of Technology, Calicut, India in 2014. Subsequently, I obtained the Master of Technology degree in civil engineering (structural engineering) from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in 2016. My research areas are finite element analysis, and analysis and design of composite systems.|
|Pei-En Chen: I am a doctoral student in mechanical engineering here at ASU with my research focus on finite element analysis of composites and probabilistic-based optimal design. I received my master of science degree in 2005 from National Defense University-Chung Cheng Institute of Technology (CCIT) and have been working at National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) since 2013.|
(1) Januar Budiman, “Natural Shape Optimal Design Method with Adaptive Mesh Generation”, 1990.
(2) C.W. Pong, “Design Optimization of Dynamic Structural Systems”, 1993.
(3) L. Gani, “Prolonging Life of Structural Components through Shape Changes”, 1996.
(4) S-Y. Chen, “Using Genetic Algorithms for the Optimal Design of Structural Systems”, 1997.
(5) S-W. Chin, “Life Cycle Enhancement of Electronic Packaging Components through Structural Optimization Techniques”, 2000.
(6) Deju Zhu, “Experimental Study and Finite Element Modeling of Woven Fabrics”, 2009.
(7) Canio Hoffarth, “A Generalized Orthotropic Elasto-Plastic Material Model for Impact Analysis”, 2016.
(1) K.K. Ngu, “Design of Structural Elements and Space Trusses Using Optimization Techniques”, 1985.
(2) J. Budiman, ”A Study of Two-Dimensional Plane Elasticity Finite Elements for Optimal Design”, 1986.
(3) H.M. Liao, “Minimum Weight Design with General Beam Elements”, 1986.
(4) C.G. Gnanasambanthan, “Graphics-Oriented Structural Analysis”, 1987.
(5) C.W. Pong, “On Optimum Design of Trusses”, 1987.
(6) Y. Hsiao, “Analysis of Axisymmetric Structures by the Finite Element Method”, 1989.
(7) L. Gani, “Improving Computational Efficiencies of Sizing and Shape Optimal Design Systems”, 1990.
(8) S.L.R. Gundala, “The Geometric Approach for Shape Optimal Design”, 1991.
(9) T. Merlo, “Implementation of the Modal Superposition Method for Structural Dynamics”, 1991.
(10) S-W. Chin, “Use of Approximation Techniques in Truss & Frame Optimization”, 1992.
(11) B. Swaminathan, “Optimal Design of Space Trusses Exhibiting Geometrically Nonlinear Behavior”, 1992.
(12) J. Doriwala, “Validation of & Enhancement to the GS-USA Finite Element System”, 1993.
(13) S-Y. Chen, “Design Optimization of Trusses Exhibiting Nonlinear Behavior”, 1993.
(14) R. Pagadala (co-advisor), “A Finite Element Model for the Design of Keratorefractive Surgeries”, 1994.
(15) C-H. Sun (co-advisor), “A Finite Element Model for Simulating Radial Keratotomy and Holmium:YAG Laser Thermokeratoplasty Surgeries”, 1994.
(16) J. Situ, “A Comparison of Direct and Iterative Methods as Finite Element Equation Solvers”, 1996.
(17) D. Wright, “Design Optimization of Discrete Structures Using Genetic Algorithm and Simulated Annealing Techniques”, 1997.
(18) C. Young, “Topology Optimization of Continuum Structures Using the Homogenization Method”, 1998.
(19) Venkat Moncompu, “OpenGL Implementation for Visualizing Finite Element Data”, 1999.
(20) So Hui Yu, “Graphical User Interface in Finite Element Pre and Post-Processing”, 1999.
(21) Gouri Sridevi, “Optimization of Interfacial Zone Characteristics of Fiber-Cement Matrix”, 1999.
(22) Sambit Ghosh, “On the use of Kalman Filter in Inverse Design Problems”, 2000.
(23) Dhaval Shah, “Inverse Design in Solid Mechanics Problems”, 2001.
(24) Jignesh Sharda, “Mechanical Testing & Finite Element Analysis of Fabrics for Engine Containment Systems”, 2002.
(25) Chaitanya Deenadayalu, “Finite Element Simulation of LASIK”, 2002.
(26) Ngi-Ing David Lau, “A High-Performance Object-Oriented Finite Element System for Frame Analysis and Design”, 2002.
(27) Victor Ruybalid (Electrical Engineering), “On the Development of a Research and Instructional Web Site, 2003.
(28) Srihari Raghavan, “Development and Verification of High-Performance Finite Element and Design Optimization System”, 2004.
(29) Paul Hopkins, “Computer-Aided Analysis and Design of Steel Connections”, 2004.
(30) Satish Sankaran, “Fabric Material Models for Static and Explicit Finite Element Analyses”, 2005.
(31) Zach Stahlecker, “The Development of a Fabric Material Model for Use in Modeling Engine Containment Systems”, 2007.
(32) Kapil Krishnan, “Using Virtual Testing Methodology for Topology Optimization”, 2007.
(33) Saurabh Bansal (co-advisor), “Development of Micro-Mechanical Model for Dry Fabrics”, 2007.
(34) Rajeev Jain, “Blast Mitigation Solutions via FEM-Based Design Optimization”, 2009.
(35) Karthikeyan Dhandapani, “Experimental Investigation and Development of a Constitutive Model for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Materials”, 2009.
(36) Aditya Vaidya, “Improvements in Modeling Techniques for Fabric-Based Aircraft Engine Containment Systems”, 2010.
(37) Mihai Morea, “Improvements to Constitutive Material Model for Fabrics”, 2011.
(38) Erblina Vokshi, “Experimental Investigation and Development of Finite Element Model for Knife and Spike Impact”, 2011.
(39) Sriram Grandhi (Mechanical Engineering), “Effect of Wind Loads on AdScreen A9 LED Display by Static Analysis”, 2012.
(40) Arumugam Deivanayagam, “Probabilistic Based Finite Element Analysis & Design Optimization for Structural Designs”, 2012.
(41) Lavannya Hembade (co-advisor), “A Finite Element-Based Framework for Understanding the Energy Performance of Concrete Elements Incorporating Phase Change Materials”, 2012.
(42) Jonathan Fein, “Improvements in Numerical Modeling Methodology of Dry Woven Fabrics for Aircraft Engine Containment Systems”, 2012.
(43) Amie Stockwell, “Multiphysics Design Optimization Model for Structural Walls Incorporating Phase Change Materials”, 2013.
(44) Mamatha Sirigiri, “Preliminary Structural Design Optimization of Tall Buildings using GS-USA© Frame3D”, 2014.
(45) Timothy Darling, “Finite Element Modeling of Human Brain Response to Football Helmet Impacts”, 2014.
(46) Krista Mika, “Design Optimization of Laminated Composite Structures using Explicit Finite Element Analysis”, 2014.
(47) Steven Wamsley, “C++ Implementation of the AUTOMESH Mesh Generation program”, 2014.
(48) Joseph Harrington, “Using Virtual Testing for Characterization of Composite Materials”, 2015.
(49) Nathan Schmidt, “Experimental Procedures and Data Analysis of Orthotropic Composites”, 2016.
(50) Yogesh Unde, “Structural Design Optimization of Steel Buildings Using GS-USA© Frame3D”, 2016.
(51) Rashmi Chawla (Applied Project), “Material Characterization of Honeywell SpectraShield© and GoldShield© and Finite Element Modeling of Honeywell Manufactured Vests”, 2018.
(51) Nathan Holt, “Experimental and Simulation Validation Tests for MAT 213”, 2018.
(52) Sarvesh Khanna (Applied Project), “Numerical Integration Techniques in Structural Dynamics”, 2018.
(1) Joanne Situ (1994). Sponsor: American Studco. Title: “Mechanical Testing and Design Optimization of Lightweight Residential Roof Truss Systems”.
(2) Calvin Young (1996). Sponsor: American Studco. Title: “Mechanical Testing and Design Optimization of Lightweight Residential Roof Truss Systems”.
(3) So Hui Yu (1997). Sponsor: Gary Hall Eye Surgery Clinic. Title: “Predicting Structural Changes Due to Radial Keratotomy Using Finite Element Analysis”.
(4) Kevin McCaughlin (2002), Sponsor: Vision Quest, LLC. and 301K Funds. Title: “Research and Development of Methods & Apparatuses for Automated Simulation and Design of Corneal Refractive Procedures for Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK)”.
(5) Dan Munn (2002-3). Sponsor: NSF. Title: “ITR Proposal: Modular Ocean Data Assimilation”.
(6) Jared Wagner (2004-5). Sponsor: FAA. Title: “FAA Development of Reliable Methodologies for Fan Blade Out Containment Analysis”.
(7) Alex Petusky (2007). Sponsor: HYI. Title: “QA Procedures for Finite Element Analysis computer programs”.
(8) Carlos Martinez (2008). Sponsor: FURI. Title: “LS-DYNA Implemented Fabric Material Model Development for Engine Fragment Mitigation”.
(9) Kyle Fortin (2009). Sponsor: FURI. Title: “LS-DYNA Implemented Fabric Material Model Development for Engine Fragment Mitigation – Phase 2”.
(10) Jacob Mickle (2009-10). Sponsor: FURI. Title: “LS-DYNA Implemented Fabric Material Model Development for Engine Fragment Mitigation – Phase 2”.
(11) Michael Mast (2010-11). Sponsor: FURI. Title: “LS-DYNA Implemented Fabric Material Model Development for Engine Fragment Mitigation – Phase 3”.
(12) Linda Kuenzi (2011-12). Sponsor: FURI. Title: “LS-DYNA Implemented Fabric Material Model Development for Engine Fragment Mitigation – Phase 3”.
(13) Kyle Monje (Fall 2011), Barrett Honors College Contract in CEE321.
(14) Quyen Banh (Spring 2012), Barrett Honors College Contract in CEE321.
(15) Elan Markov (2013-2016). Sponsor; FURI. Title: “Using Optimization Techniques in Probabilistic Based Methods for Sustainable Engineering Designs”.
(16) Joey Harrington (Spring 2013), “Analysis, Design and Fabrication of Steel Bridge”, Barrett Honors College Thesis.
(17) Krista Mika (Fall 2013), “Pedogogical Analysis and Improvements to CEE321 – Structural Analysis & Design”, Barrett Honors College Thesis.
(18) Ashley Archambault (Fall 2013), Barrett Honors College Contract in CEE321.
(19) Drew Reasor (Spring 2014), “Audio-visual Aids for CEE321 – Structural Analysis & Design”, Barrett Honors College Thesis.
(20) Nathan Schmidt (Spring 2015), “Improving the Implementation of Engineering Design Practices in Secondary Science Classrooms”, Barrett Honors College Thesis.
(21) Elan Markov (Spring 2016), “Probabilistic Modeling and Data Analysis on Experimental Data for Structural Systems”, Barrett Honors College Thesis.
(22) Cyam Cajegas (Spring 2018), “Comparing Loading Provisions Between ASCE 7-10 and ASCE 7-16”, Barrett Honors College Thesis.